- Adventures of a Wizard is a timeless Vaudeville-styled romantic comedy musical revue filled with surrealism, song, dance, magic, mime, and romance in the spontaneous and celebratory tradition of Houdini, Charlie Chaplin, Jimmy Durante, Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers, Al Jolson, Judy Garland, George M. Cohan, Irving Berlin, George & Ira Gershwin and more.
- Adventures of a Wizard is an organic weave of exciting, classic and original repertoire presented in the great showmanship style of Broadway, vaudeville and Hollywood legends [NOT celebrity imitations].
- This delightful production highlights the journey of Little Irving, a beguiling little fellow who encounters hilarious high jinks outwitting unscrupulous bosses and bullies to keep his job. Rollicking good time misadventures lead him to meet a kind and beautiful girl he falls in love with, only to discover her unwanted pursuer is a corrupt, power-hungry billionaire government official.
- After some confusion of identities, they are both captured and held prisoner along with the caravan of carnival vaudeville performers which she and her blind grandmother are part of. Through the power of love, they discover that she alone holds the key that helps Little Irving find his true powers as a heroic magician. Against all odds, he uses wondrous feats of magic and illusion to help them miraculously escape and triumph over the clutches of a cruel band of officials who have imprisoned them. As Little Irving earns the title ‘Laurice, the Master of Impossibilities’, celebration fills the air and the entire caravan spontaneously bursts out with the show-stopping vaudeville song and dance musical finale.
Adventures of a Wizard has audiences dancing and singing along as they travel with Little Irving on his mythic journey of transformation.
The show includes:
- Romantic song and dance ala Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers
- Dazzling Period Costumes
- Colorful Sets
- Songs and Music by Gershwin, Berlin, Kern, Cohan, and others, including original and classic compositions and arrangements
- Hilarious comic mime mirth, Charlie Chaplin style
- Daring escape challenges with audience participationala Houdini and beyond
- Laurice, who reads the minds of audience members
- Under-privileged children performing their own vaudeville acts
Along the way to becoming a great wizard named “Laurice, the Master of Impossibilities”, Little Irving meets a dazzling array of colorful characters, including:
- Hilarious Keystone Kops-like tricksters
- Beautiful princess who defies gravity when she balances on the tip of a razor sharp sword
- Elegant Tap Dancing & Singing Chorus Girls ala the Rockettes & the Ziegfeld Follies
- Rip-roarin' Dixieland Jazz Show-Band that fills the stage with comedy capers ala Jimmy Durante meets the Marx Bros.
- Live animals that appear from fire and thin air
- Sweet and innocent songbird ala Judy Garland
- Ragtime Piano Player
- Organ Grinder & his little Monkey
- Barber Shop Quartet
- Red Hot Mama ala Sophie Tucker, and more
- Come be part of a fun-filled evening of joyful song, dance, mystery, magic and romance for all ages!
A work in progress, sections of the Adventures of a Wizard show have been performed for live audiences in small non-traditional venues, work-shopped at the Thirteenth Street Theater in Manhattan, and presented in larger theaters such as New York City’s Beacon Theater and at Lincoln Center. Segments have also been featured on television in selected markets.
Adventures of a Wizard provides enormous interaction encouraging the audience to find, explore, touch, feel and be involved in the spectacular by creating at once, an uplifting, jubilance and a poignant and magical memory to last a lifetime.
This company of extraordinarily talented and accomplished performers includes many artists who have thrilled audiences on stage, film and network television, internationally. Together, they bring to life a musical review based in the spontaneously wild and zany tradition of the Golden Age of Vaudeville, Tin Pan Alley, Ragtime and Broadway Musical Review.
From grand theaters to grand halls, Adventures of a Wizard has flexible and adaptable packages offering multiple levels of presenter participation customized for smaller theaters, special events, grand openings, media exhibitions, and product introductions that meet your budget.
- Performance length is 2 hours
- School versions are 45 minute and have class room study guides
- Audience size can range from 500 to 2,500 and up. The show is a natural for historic proscenium musical vaudeville stages and tour-stop theaters
- Maximum flexibility: Lighting, sound, and stage specifications may be customized to the venue.
- Arts Education Workshops
- Young Artist Mentoring
- Hospital Bedside Wonder
- Intergenerational Reminiscence for Youth and Elders
- Staff and Professional Training
- All programs include lots of audience participation
- Can be geared to any age group, theme or size
- Talented underprivileged children are provided an educational opportunity to perform professionally on-stage along side their seasoned professional mentors in this Off-Broadway level production.
Sponsorship Services List
Portals Of Wonder’s staff will provide Marketing and Advertising materials, Media Events and Audience Development programs in an integrated campaign to increase your ticket sales and merchandising.
- Exclusive sponsorship categories
Please download our sponsorship form
- Point of purchase
- Cross promotions
- Broadcast television & web media events [local, regional and domestic]
- Community building and goodwill
- Product placement in live performances and broadcast segments
- Targeted demographic reach
- Customized Public Service
- Broadcast Announcement, Commercials,
- Billboard Display and Print Ads
Income from uplifting performances of Adventures of a Wizard for the general public help the Portals Of Wonder Foundation (an arts education not-for-profit) fund six therapeutic and educational programs. (View programs) These programs bring magic, mime, music, myth and vaudeville to frail elderly, to children facing critical illness, and to homeless youth. (View audio and video clips linked below.)
For more information about on-going programs in schools, homeless shelters, old age homes and hospitals, please visit www.PortalsOfWonder.org
“ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS…Portals Of Wonder created a sensation!”
- Shannon Taylor, Brooklyn Daily Eagle, New York
“THE BEST show they had ever been to…rarely seen the audience so excited..”
- Antonio Rodriguez, Director of Special Events, DHS, City of New York
“INSPIRING... substantive talents”
- Elizabeth Halverstam, Associate Director, Arts Horizons
“EXCITING …a poignant and magical experience.”
- Michael Texeir, Training Manager, Hunter College,
City University of New York
“AWAKENS THE IMAGINATION…
brings pride and healing to the American spirit after 9/11”
- Nancy K. Townsend, Founding Editor, NY Nonprofit.com
“WONDER AND CURIOSITY revitalized…
I am so glad to be connected to your important work.”
- Patch Adams, M.D., The Hollywood film “Patch Adams” starring Robin Williams, is based on the life of this pioneering medical activist; Honorary Chairman of the Portals Of Wonder Board of Trustees
“OUTSTANDING…awakens and uplifts the heart”
- Dr. Stanley Krippner, Ph.D., internationally revered pioneer researcher in consciousness studies and author of a dozen books and hundreds of professional articles, professor of psychology, Saybrook Graduate School
"FILLED WITH OPTIMISM AND JOY! ... Celebrates hope and embraces dreams...that made America great! A living connection to the follies, vaudeville and the Broadway romantic musical comedy tradition..."
- Nils Hanson, Board of Directors and Administrator, The National Ziegfeld Club
“POWERFUL…Performance art married to human transformation”
- Jean Houston, Ph.D., Consultant to President & Mrs. Carter; advisor to UNICEF; author, colleague of Margaret Mead and Joseph Campbell; Director, the Foundation for Mind Research
“OUR AUDIENCES LOVE ADVENTURES OF A WIZARD.”
- Paul Rosen, Director of Programs, Castle Senior Living Residences (affiliated with Mt. Sinai Hospital and New York Presbyterian Hospital)
A Rare Theater Experience.